If one is tired all the time with no other underlying medical condition, he may be suffering from what is called chronic fatigue syndrome or CFS. This condition often worsens with mental or physical exertion and no amount of rest or sleep will relieve it. In addition to the extreme exhaustion, other symptoms to be on the watch for are:
- Sensitivities to smells, foods, or sounds
- Night sweats and chills
- Not feeling refreshed after a good night’s rest
- Moodiness and depression
- Passing out, feeling dizzy, or losing balance
- Symptoms that last for over 6 months
- Visual problems such as eye pain, blurry vision, and sensitivity to light
- Feeling exhausted 24 hours or more after mental or physical exertion
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Sore throat
- Repeated, abnormal headaches
- Swollen lymph nodes in armpits or neck
- Muscle pain with no known cause
- Joint pain without redness or swelling
- Memory loss and problems concentrating
Is It Really Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Some doctors may diagnose chronic fatigue, while others may say it is fibromyalgia. Often it depends on the doctor one is seeing. The symptoms of both conditions are extremely similar, and most can be interchanged.
Another interesting thing that these two conditions have in common is that many people experiencing either CFS or fibromyalgia also have a misalignment in the bones of the upper neck. When this subluxation is present, the brainstem is put under pressure. The central nervous system has to compensate for this kind of misalignment and will actually change the way it functions. This means that improper signals can be sent to and from the brain and body.
Finding Relief for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Here at our Laguna Hills, California practice, we put these principles to work when caring for CFS patients. We use a method referred to as NUCCA consisting of a low force correction to help realign the bones. Once these misalignments are fixed, the nervous system can function at its prime once again, and chronic fatigue syndrome may improve or go away entirely.